Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Break our hearts....

This is a new year and I've been reading my Bible every day and hopefully will have read through the Bible by the end of the year. Today, Psalm 9 was part of my reading and the following verses really stood out to me:

16 The Lord is known by the judgment He executes; The wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Selah. 17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. 18 For the needy shall not always be forgotten; The expectation of the poor shall not perish forever. 19 Arise, O Lord, Do not let man prevail; Let the nations be judged in Your sight. 20 Put them in fear, O Lord, that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah.

So, you can see why this stood out to me. We may not have individually forgotten about God, but this nation has. We've taken Him out of courts, out of schools, even grocery store workers aren't allowed to say Merry Christmas. And it's because our nation has forgotten that we are all nothing but human beings. We've been such a world power for so long that we've forgotten how fragile we really are.

But I'm actually not going into politics with this. Verse 17 says that all wicked and nations who forget about God will be thrown into Hell. Now, the last year especially, I've prayed for God to break my heart for the things that break His and obviously His heart breaks for those that are lost and so does mine. I mean, I literally cry when I think about how many people are lost and are completely missing out on that rest and comfort that Jesus offers SO freely. People don't want to "give up" their lives but the freedom that you can have Jesus is over and abundantly worth it!

One thing that bugs me is when people say things like they're just waiting on Jesus to come back and that they hope He comes back soon and things like that. And I've said that myself and I cannot wait for that eternity with Him BUT we have work to do here!! The more terrible the world becomes, the harder we should be working to win hearts for Christ. We should all be in the trenches, not just biding our time until He comes back.

So, here's what I suggest, and I've seen other people putting this out there lately: Pray for God to break your heart for what breaks His. If you feel your heart breaking for something, you're going to get out there and do what it takes to help out. People can talk and put all the facebook posts out there they want about different things but if you don't DO anything about it, then what's the point? Even little things can make a difference. What if every Christian did one small thing today to help someone else out....I bet it would make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment